We offer you six strategies that will enhance opportunities for children to be curious about materials and spaces. These strategies are:
Examine space and consider potential experiences.
Offer materials and opportunities.
Take time, look closely, ask questions.
Noticing and suggesting.
Encourage questioning and theorizing with children.
Talk it out, draw it out and document.
Each strategy has an audio clip of a story from an educator employing that strategy. Click on the audio button to hear the story. As you listen to the strategies and scenarios think about how these inform your practice. What changes might you make to your practice? Why?
- Strategy 1: Examine Space and Consider Potential Experiences
- Strategy 2: Offer Materials and Opportunities
- Strategy 3: Take Time, Look Closely, Ask Questions
- Strategy 4: Noticing and Suggesting
- Strategy 5: Encourage Questioning and Theorizing with Children
- Strategy 6: Talk it Out, Draw it Out and Document
- Programming with Intent – Beginning the Cycle